The Directors Guild of America have released their nominees for achievement in directing, which is usually a pretty good guide for how the nominees will line up on Oscar Day. The cited nominees are:
- Darren Aronofsky for Black Swan
- David Fincher for The Social Network
- Tom Hooper for The King's Speech
- Christopher Nolan for Inception
- David O. Russell for The Fighter
I don't think anyone surpasses the achievement of Darren Aronofsky in Black Swan, despite Fincher directing his best film since Se7en and Nolan directing his greatest work to date with Inception. I haven't seen The Fighter yet, it is released in Australia on the 20th January, but my pick is Aronofsky here. Thoughts?