Monday, June 16, 2014

Sydney Film Festival Public Poll

Well, the Sydney Film Festival is over for another year, and many of us have consumed huge volumes of films over the last twelve days. Some extraordinary. Some not. I don’t know about you but the films for me were consistently of a high quality. Mid-way through the festival I had an idea of how to cumulatively evaluate all of the films that screened and find out what the best-received films were from a large consensus of film buffs.


A few years ago Mathieu Ravier, artistic programmer of the Sydney Film Festival Hub and founder of The Festivalists, asked critics who visited the festival to list each film they watched and give each one a star rating. This was then collated into a spreadsheet, and each film received an average rating. I thought I would do a similar thing this year, but open it up to anybody and everybody.

It doesn’t matter if you saw five films, or fifty films, if you wish to be involved in this, please email me (andrew.buckle22@gmail.com) a list of every film you saw at the festival (this can include pre-screeners too) and give the film a star rating (0.5 – 5). Alternatively, if you have a Letterboxd account and have rated and listed the films, send me a link to this and I will draw the data myself.

I hope to have at least 50 people, and 100 films, involved to make it worthwhile, so please share this idea around and encourage others to contribute. 

The deadline is 6pm on Sunday 22nd June, and I intend to reveal the spreadsheet that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment