Sunday, November 27, 2011

Looking Ahead: 20 Films to Watch This Summer

With Spring almost behind us, the Summer holiday season starting and the awards contenders finally getting a release, there is the usual air of anticipation and expectation brewing. In my opinion, this year has already been a strong year, but take a look at what is still to come. Here are 20 films you should definitely take the time to see over the next three months. A couple I have seen and can recommend. Others I am eagerly waiting for. Check out January 12. With rave reviews coming in for Hugo and The Muppets, it makes January 12 one of the strongest release dates I can recall. 

There are also a few that I purposefully left out - Albert Nobbs, The Iron Lady and J Edgar. They will draw the crowds - but to be honest, I am expecting a fine lead performance with an average film around them. I could be wrong. Let me know what you think of these releases. Can you confirm or deny their 'must see' status? Are there any other films you recommend seeing over the Summer, or if you're over the other side of the world, the Winter?

Attack the Block (December 01, 2011)

Melancholia (December 15, 2011)


The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (December 26, 2011)

The Skin I Live In (December 26, 2011)

War Horse (December 26, 2011)


Hugo (January 12, 2012)

The Descendents (January 12, 2012)


The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (January 12, 2012)

The Muppets (January 12, 2012)


Tinker, Tailor Soldier, Spy (January 19, 2012)

Young Adult (January 19, 2012)

Like Crazy (February 02, 2012)


Martha Marcy May Marlene (February 02, 2012)

The Artist (February 02, 2012)


Shame (February 09, 2012)

Carnage (February 16, 2012)

My Week With Marilyn (February 16, 2012)

Coriolanus (February 23, 2012)


Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (February 23, 2012)

Tomboy (February 23, 2012)

5 comments:

  1. Tintin, Muppets and Hugo - if I see nothing else, I want to see those. But seeing the rest of the list would be pretty awesome as well, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. Looking forward to all of these myself, except maybe The Muppets because I've never really seen any Muppet-y things as such and maybe some of the references will just fly over my head. But then again, it can be a Tintin-esque experience.
    I've seen four of the films- Tintin, MMMM, Melancholia and Like Crazy, and I quite loved them except Like Crazy, though I am pretty sure many others will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me a but confused for a while about the summer thing until I remember your physical location. I never get used to the idea that we're sort of reversed.

    It seems that we have pretty much the same release schedule. It's a bit annoying to have to wait until February for movies that are up for discussion in the blogosphere now... But that's life if you live in a smaller market area.

    I've seen two movies on the list: Melancholia, which I think is fantastic and Tintin, which was very underwhelming, but that probably has to do with my long history as a Tintin fan. I just couldn't cope with this version. Hopefully you'll get a better experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of these ones I'm really only stoked about the Muppets. I have heard a ton of great reviews so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Ruth - I intend to see all of them :-p But I am most looking forward to THE SKIN I LIVE IN, THE DESCENDANTS, DRAGON TATTOO, TINKER TAILOR, THE ARTIST and SHAME

    @ Nikhat - I have heard nothing but great things about THE MUPPETS. I'm looking forward to it - next week! I have seen three of the films here - MMMM was the one I liked the best. Giving MELANCHOLIA another go this week too.

    @ Jessica - Yeah, it always throws the overseas bloggers when I post a season of upcoming films. I am lucky enough to be able to attend a few screenings, which means I get to see them before their releases - but in a lot of cases, have to wait so long. I am looking forward to TINTIN, but not as much as most on this list. THE ARTIST for example.

    @ Joel - The only one Joel? The potential here is incredible. Some I'm not all that fussed over - MELANCHOLIA i wasn't hot on, and EXTREMELY LOUD didn't do anything for me when I saw the trailer, but there's something new every week (and often multiple films) that I intend to see.

    ReplyDelete