Monday, August 27, 2012

Monday Links (27/08/12)


Since I got back from Melbourne one week ago...it's been that long....I have done almost nothing but watch films. I have watched a couple of exciting upcoming releases - Your Sister's Sister (Sep 6) and Lore (Sep 20) - and was very impressed by both. Reviews to come in the next week or so. I attended the Opening Night film of the Korean Film Festival in Australia, War of the Arrows, on Wednesday and the media launch of the Lavazza Italian Film Festival on Thursday. Magnificent Presence was accompanied by antipasto platters and cocktails. I enjoyed the strange but charming Magnificent Presence and a write-up is also on my 'to-do' list. Predominantly I have been working on my MIFF Diaries and my four installments can be found here - Day 1&2, Day 3, Day 4 and Day 5&6.

Here are some articles that caught my eye during the week:

Ethan at A Reservation At Dorsia lists his Top 10 of the 2000's.

Sam has also been chronicling her MIFF experiences in diary form. Check them out at An Online Universe. While you're there, let her know what Classic Must-See Horror Films she should catch up with.

Alex scoured the Director's Sound & Sight Top 10's and has come up with a list of surprising selections.

I heard great things about Searching For Sugar Man at MIFF. Nick reviews the film for Anomalous Material.

Hot Fuzz is one of the funniest films I have ever seen. Anna takes a look.

I have always been a fan of Brad Pitt's acting. Margaret gives an awesome rundown of his career.

Sam Fragoso is headed to TIFF and picked up Media Accreditation. Congrats! Here's his lineup. Drop him your thoughts.

Be sure to stop by Encore's World of Film and TV and vote for in Andrew's Essential Performances of the 90's Showdown.

I sat next to Cam Williams during The Angels' Share at MIFF. Check out his fantastic write-up of the film.

Simon watched Your Sister's Sister at the Perth International Film Festival earlier in the year and loved it. Having now seen it, I wholeheartedly agree.

With the sad passing of Tony Scott last week, Simon honours him by taking a look at one of his best films, The Enemy of the State.

Jessica asks the question: Is your film collection snoop ready? My answer: Yes, I love my DVD collection.

Finally, Katia expresses her love for The Rocketeer at SBS Film. A really passionately written piece.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome. Hope you have a fantastic time in Toronto. We should try and have a chat before you go.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you don't shy away from showing off your DVD:s!
    Thanks for the link love. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really cool idea for a post.

      Half of my DVDs are at my parents' place and half are at mine. When I go and visit I swap them around. I don't know how many I have exactly, but though it is lacking in Criterion Collection editions, I'm pretty happy with them.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You're welcome Anna! Glad you enjoyed Hot Fuzz. I watch it regularly :-)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the link, glad you liked the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did. But I enjoy all of your posts :-)

      Delete