Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Links (05/03/12)

I have had a bit of a crazy week. I have been working lots and been squeezing in screenings and reviews between shifts. I have watched a few films playing at this month's Alliance Francaise French Film Festival - The Day I Saw Your Heart, 18 Years Old and Rising and Nobody Else But You - so keep an eye out for more coverage and reviews over the course of the month.


Also, I thought I would mention a couple of recent viewing experiences - Parts 1 and 2 of the Paradise Lost documentaries. Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory was released early this year and was nominated for Best Documentary Feature at the Academy Awards. The first two films (released in 1996 and 1999) are absolutely incredible. Especially Part 1. Focusing on the murders of three young boys in West Memphis and the three teenagers arrested and tried for their murder. The filmmaking team, working for HBO, were allowed to film inside the courtroom and objectively interview the parents of both the victims and the accused. Ultimately, the film acts as a form of evidence in itself, and has attracted support groups and sympathetic people who are outraged by the decision.

Despite very little scientific evidence to prove the three were guilty, they were all convicted and given life sentences. It is an extraordinary and maddening tale of injustice. Yes, the murders are horrific, but just as tragic is the fact that these three boys were clearly innocent and yet found guilty because of some extremely corrupt policing, and prejudices about their speculated character. It rouses emotions, that's for sure. I don't know how it all ends, but there are 12 years between the releases of Revelations and Purgatory. I am hoping for a cinema release of the latter here in Australia.

Here are some links to great articles I have come across over the last fortnight or so...

Following on from what Alex @ And So It Begins came up with, Sati @ Cinematic Corner, Ruth @ Lets Be Splendid About This, Stevee @ Cinematic Paradox and Tyler @ Southern Vision have come up with their own versions of 100 Things I Learned from the Movies.

While you are on Alex's site, check out his recent instalment of Favourite Scene. The focus is Se7en.

I keep hearing great things about Carancho. Edwin Davies @ A Mighty Fine Blog reviews the film.

Sam @ An Online Universe has been working tirelessly on her new site, and happens to have seen many of the same films as me recently. We agree a bizarre amount - Roman Polanski's Carnage and the upcoming March 8 release, Headhunters, to name just two.

For another top review of Headhunters check out Dwayne's @ The LennoX Files.

Over at Anomalous Material Nick looks at the Academy Award nominated documentary, If A Tree Falls: The Story of the Earth Liberation Frontwhile Max looks at some underrated Gems from the 1980's.

Joseph @ Black Sheep Reviews interviews the directors of the Academy Award winner for documentary, Undefeated.

Bonjour Tristesse catches up with We Need to Talk About Kevin. I was very glad to see him give it the 8.3 grade.

Blake Howard @ Castle Co-op reviews the newly released masterpiece, A Separation. A MUST see!

Andrew @ Encore's World of Film and TV looks at some of 2011's Memorable Scenes

Max @ Impassioned Cinema looks at a classic I am yet to see, Belle De Jour

John @ John Likes Movies is already looking ahead to 2013, picking out the Potential Oscar Nominees.

Corey @ Just Atad asks his readers: Do We Cut Foreign Films Too Much Slack? Really interesting read.

Tom Clift @ Movie Reviews by Tom Clift really didn't like Project X.

Colin @ Pick 'n' Mix Flix, a writer I value highly and one of my most loyal readers, was really impressed by L'illusionnist. It is delightful.

Tyler @ Southern Vision has had a busy week. He also gave Au Hasard Balthazar (an amazing film!!) 10/10 and endured all seven hours of Bela Tarr's Satantango.

Steven @ Surrender to the Void has been working through the films of Thomas McCarthy (and the Coen Bros.). He has recently uploaded reviews of The Visitor and Win Win


So there you have it. Hope you find some interesting reading amongst these articles. Have a great week.

21 comments:

  1. Two words: watch Carancho.

    (I'd say thanks for the link but that sort of ruins the whole two words thing, so I won't)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave Carancho 9/10 didn't you? I will keep an eye out for it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks man. Barton Fink is coming tomorrow. BTW, I'm glad you're watching the Paradise Lost trilogy as I've managed to see all three films earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching the Paradise Lost films has been an experience. I am really interested to see what happens. The whole story is extraordinary.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Sure thing! I should get around to creating my own 100 list, but I honestly don't think I could do it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the linkage! I would love to see those Paradise Lost movies. They remind me of THE THIN BLUE LINE, another great documentary I'm yet to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are similar in the fact that the footage put together in The Thin Blue Line resulted in the man getting exonerated. Here, I feel like they will have the same effect. Just by watching them, it makes no sense that they were convicted. BLUE LINE is one of my favourite docos - but Part 1 of PARADISE LOST is something else. Also, I have been told that PURGATORY (Part 3) is the best of the three.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. No worries man. Shame about the situation at the moment.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the double linkage buddy! I went through the Paradise Lost films ass backwards, watching the third one first (which was remarkable) then going back and watching parts 1 and 2 (which were also quite remarkable).

    I love when movies effect change. Seriously great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get into PURGATORY (yeah, that reads weird ha). I have been blown away by what I have seen so far, and I can't fathom what will happen over the ten years separating the films. The case is fucked up. It is impossible not to have an opinion, and a suspicion. It just doesn't make sense, and at this point, I don't think we have been revealed to everything regarding the crime scene - and the early stages of the police investigation. Hopefully, more is revealed in PURGATORY. I really want to know who actually did it.

      Delete
    2. PURGATORY attempts to... well, hell, I'll just shut up and let you watch it.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the link, man! Appreciated as always!

    Did you like "Nobody Else But You"? I saw that at the Chicago Film Festival and it kind of left me....a little indifferent, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries man. I didn't really like it. Just posted a review. I just couldn't get into it. I liked the writer becoming the amateur sleuth seeking inspiration angle, but then the mystery just fizzled. There were subplots that served little purpose, and there were very few thrilling moments. Also, so influenced by the Coens (and because I have been watching Argento recently, his giallo).

      Delete
  8. Thanks much for the link...heads to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the link love. It's greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the link! You should do a list like that too, it's tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete