Saturday, December 11, 2010

Short Review: Up in the Air (Jason Reitman, 2009)


Up in the Air was a film that really made an impact. It is one of the most heartbreaking films I have ever seen. George Clooney, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick all give fantastic Oscar nominated performances and Jason Reitman's astute directing and adapted screenplay reads perfectly. Ryan Bingham is a man that loves being on the road, or as it were, up in the air. This lifestyle choice has made it difficult for him to intimately connect with other people, and his philosophy rejects it. When he meets Alex, a beautiful fellow frequent flier, and bonds with an enthusiastic young colleague, his perspective on life begins to transform. It's darkly comic, the dialogue sizzles, the conclusion is ultimately shattering for character and viewer, and you walk away both warmed and feeling a tad depressed about the point of your existence. Up in the Air was one of my favorite films from the last decade, and one of 2009's best releases.

My Rating: 4 1/2 Stars

1 comment:

  1. I watch it regularly. It really resonates with me. I liked it at first, but not loved. Now its one of my top 10 at least and def one of my most watched. I just have to ensure that I don't become Ryan Bingham...

    ReplyDelete