Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday Links (15/08)


I have been a little bit quiet this week following a busy weekend at work with the releases of Senna and Jane Eyre. Both are pulling strong box office numbers, which is great to see. During the week I did catch up on my MIFF reviews, posting my thoughts on Melancholia, Tiny Furniture, Another Earth and Drive. I also updated my Top 20 Films of 2011 and watched The Rise of the Planet of the Apes, a film that surprised me a lot. I know I said that Robert Altman was going to be my DOTM, but I am yet to watch a single film by the man. I have just had no time. In fact, I am still working through Kieslowski. I watched Camera Buff last night, his first international success. I will try and get something posted about it later. This week I also hope to see POM Wonderful: The Greatest Story Ever Sold and that elusive film, L'illusionniste, one I have been trying to see for two weeks now.

I have been thinking about updating the Blogroll and making it a single page. I come across fantastic new blogs every day, with the consistent flow of new LAMB members and especially after discovering the quality work of Australian critics at the SFF and MIFF. So, in the next week or so, I will be making some changes.

Without further ado, here are some links to great articles from this week:

Max and Stevee discuss Gone with the Wind on Anomalous Material. Kevin Knox also unveils his Top 10 Brad Pitt Performances.

Julian Buckeridge from At the Cinema has compiled a Critics Poll, listing all of the films seen by a select group of Australian critics at MIFF and their ratings on each film. It's very interesting. From the ones I have seen, I can vouch for films receiving high ratings.

CS @ Big Thoughts from A Small Mind questions whether film experience are all subjective.

Stevee @ Cinematic Paradox has been working through a series of '16 Days of Birthday' posts. She looks at Social Networking and Movies and Male and Female performances she loves.

Sam @ Duke and the Movies reviews The Guard. He dug it. I agree, it is one of the year's funniest films.

Phil @ Phil on Film is a great writer. Check out his thoughts on A Separation, one of the best films you will see in 2011.

Tom Clift @ Movie Reviews by Tom Clift reviews Lars Von Trier's Melancholia, which I watched alongside him at MIFF. He wasn't a fan. I have grown to like it a little more, but I agree with his observations.

Anna @ Split Reel has a close look at the career of Kirsten Dunst.

Glenn Dunks @ Stale Popcorn was one of the crazy bloggers who partook in the MIFF 60 Film Challenge. This week he critiques the posters of some upcoming releases. His review of Green Lantern is hilarious too.

One of Syndey's top freelance film critics and writers, Alice Tynan, has a blog that links to all of her work across a range of mediums. She appears regularly on 'The Movie Club', and reviews for Rotten Tomatoes, The Big Issue and radio. I just wanted to giver her a shout out, and you can find her blog @ The Plot Thickens.

I know nothing about 30 Minutes or Less, but if Hatter @ Dark of the Matinee gives it a good grade, I'm usually there.

Have a great week. AB.

11 comments:

  1. i'm probably not the first person to mention this but you're doing too much andy! is there any relaxation in your life at the moment? do you have time for sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. You're probably right. There is some relaxation - these posts. I sleep too...a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andy, do you own the Trois Couleurs set on DVD? I went to Criterion's Facebook page and I think it's coming to Criterion. It looks like I'll have to sell my old box set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to AM as always :) Got some reading to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Steven - I do own them. I originally owned Rouge, but picked up the other two relatively cheap for the Kieslowski work. Thanks for thinking of me, though.

    @ Castor - Of course. A few less articles than normal, but it's my opportunity each week to peruse everyone's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the links, Andy! Plus, I'm still jealous of how you post so much...I'm finding it so hard to even make time to blog and watch movies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome Stevee. You still post daily, which I think is amazing considering you are still at school. I don't work that much really, so I have time to watch films. I feel compelled to write something on every film, hence my frequent posts. But, believe me, I am slowing down by the day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw 30 Minutes or Less over the weekend. Great performances from the cast but the pacing and story were a little off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That hasn't been released here in Australia but I'll give it a go when it does.

    I watched an 'early' screening of Horrible Bosses last night. It had some great moments, and the chemistry between the three leads was impeccable, but the bosses were merely caricatures and the plot spiralled out of control in the final third through a mix of silly contrivances and desperation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just spied this Andy. Many thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete