Thursday, June 9, 2011

Releases 09/06


While half of Sydney's moviegoing population will be lining up to see films at the Sydney Film Festival, the other half will be flocking to see J.J Abrams' new flick, Super 8. While it looks to be one of the most original blockbusters of the season, and certainly the one I have been looking forward to the most, early reports are that it is a thoughtful, ambitious and entertaining film which feels like a nostalgic homage to the Spielberg classics of the 70's and 80's. The only other release this week is Oranges and Sunshine. 

Super 8 - Writer/director J.J Abrams teams up with producer Steven Spielberg for this period sci-fi thriller set in the late '70's, and centering on a mysterious train crash in a small Ohio town. Summer, 1979: a group of young friends are filming a Super-8 movie when a pickup truck derails a speeding train. When the locals start to disappear and even the inquisitive deputy can't come up with answers, suspicions emerge that the incident was anything but an accident. As the truth finally begins to emerge, no one is prepared to learn what now stalks the unsuspecting citizens of this once quiet community. The teaser trailer was great, and this cast of talented youngsters reminds one of the magic of E.T. I'm sure this is one that can't be missed. 

Oranges and Sunshine - Tells the story of Margaret Humphreys (Emily Watson), a social worker from Nottingham, who uncovered one of the most significant social scandals in recent times: the forced migration of children from the United Kingdom. Almost singlehandedly, against overwhelming odds and with little regard for her own well-being, Margaret reunited thousands of families, brought authorities to account and worldwide attention to an extraordinary miscarriage of justice. One hundred and thirty thousand children in care had been sent abroad to Commonwealth countries, mainly Australia. They were promised oranges and sunshine, instead they got hard labour and life in institutions. Im sure it is powerful, and i'm sure the performances will be good (Hugo Weaving, David Wenham co-star), but I have been told it is rather dull. 

My Recommendation: Super 8

5 comments:

  1. I will probably see Super 8 next week since the reviews are pretty good. Besides, I'll try to see two films X-Men: First Class and Midnight in Paris. Talk about a strange double feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have heard good things about Super 8. I might have to wait until after the SFF. Squeezing it in would make my life quite intense. I don't know when we get Midnight in Paris, but its not scheduled any time in July.

    Enjoy the double feature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just got home from Super 8 and I think it was garbage!! It is a kids movie at best. I'm quite disgusted that it wasn't promoted as a kids movie as it sure isn't for adults.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's disappointing to hear Brent. I have seen a couple of trailers, and I have to agree, it does seem to be marketed for a wide audience. I have heard that it is an homage to the Spielberg classics of the 70's and 80's (Close Encounters and E.T), which were centred at a younger audience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I likened it in my review to a cross between The Goonies and ET, and I think that sums it up. But even as a younger persons movie I think it is poor. I'm actually quite angry at how this was promoted as being for a wider audience because it just isn't. There is a hint of dis-honesty there I'm afraid. I parted with $15 to see something I normally wouldn't have bothered with.
    The age group this is made for generally doesn't make good movies. Race to Witch Mountain is a good example and Super 8 is worse than that in my opinion!!

    ReplyDelete