Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The 2011 Buckle Awards


So, the idea of these awards are to choose a list of personal nominees from films I have seen in 2011 to some selected Academy Award categories and then declare a winner. This is with the exception of a Best Picture, which will be saved for tomorrow when I announce my Top 30 Films of 2011. There are still several 'Oscar Contenders' I am yet to see, due to the late release in Australia, so these are not official awards, just a way to honour some achievements I found notable this year. The winners of each category are in bold.

Best Adapted Screenplay

Denis Villeneuve, Valeris Beaugrand-Champagne - Incendies
Lynne Ramsay, Rory Stewart Kinnear - We Need to Talk About Kevin
Pedro Almodovar - The Skin I Live In
Steve Zaillian, Aaron Sorkin - Moneyball
Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, Jim Rash - The Descendants
George Clooney, Grant Heslov, Beau Willimon - The Ides of March

Best Original Screenplay

Asghar Farhadi - A Separation
Jeff Nichols - Take Shelter
Woody Allen - Midnight in Paris
Sean Durkin - Martha Marcy May Marlene
John Logan - Rango
Thomas McCarthy - Win Win

Best Actor

Brad Pitt - Moneyball
Ryan Gosling - Drive/ The Ides of March
George Clooney - The Descendants
Michael Shannon - Take Shelter
Brendan Gleeson - The Guard
Peyman Moaadi - A Separation

Best Actress

Tilda Swinton - We Need to Talk About Kevin
Elizabeth Olsen - Martha Marcy May Marlene
Kirsten Dunst − Melancholia
Viola Davis - The Help
Saoirse Ronan - Hanna
Vera Farmiga  - Higher Ground

Best Supporting Actress

Elena Anaya - The Skin I Live In
Shailene Woodley - The Descendants
Jessica Chastain - Take Shelter/The Help/The Tree of Life
Amy Ryan - Win Win
Octavia Spencer - The Help
Sareh Bayat - A Separation

Best Supporting Actor

Albert Brooks - Drive
John Hawkes - Martha Marcy May Marlene
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - The Ides of March
Andy Serkis - Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Christopher Plummer - Beginners
Brad Pitt - The Tree of Life

Best Animated Film

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
L'illusionniste [The Illusionist]
Rango
Kung-Fu Panda 2

Best Foreign Language Film

A Separation
Incendies
The Skin I Live In
13 Assassins
Of Gods and Men
In A Better World

Best Documentary

Project Nim
Senna
Armadillo
The Tall Man
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Bill Cunningham New York

Best Director


Asghar Farhadi -  A Separation
Terrence Malick - The Tree of Life
Lynne Ramsay - We Need to Talk About Kevin
Nicholas Winding Refn - Drive
Jeff Nichols - Take Shelter
Pedro Almodovar - The Skin I Live In

What are your thoughts and selections? Coming tomorrow - my unofficial Top 30 Films of 2011.

*Note* - The Online Film Critics Society have announced their 15th Annual Online Film Critics Society Awards nominations. I was quite surprised how similar they were to mine - with the inclusion of some nominees from films I am yet to see, of course. You can check them out here.

14 comments:

  1. Love it. A Best Of list from someone I've had the pleasure of reading all year. There's a classic Morecambe and Wise sketch where Andre Previn accuses Eric of not knowing the notes on the piano. 'I know all the notes', Eric says, 'just not necessarily in the right order'. I feel the same way about your results, which are broadly similar to mine but not the same (thankfully).

    Keep up the good work, Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great awards and a much quicker read than sitting through the Oscar ceremony! Must see this 'A Seperation'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done Andy. You know exactly what I'd disagree over.

    Still a good amount of films I haven't seen that will make hold off making a list till next week.

    Worst films of the year will be up Wednesday, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen nearly enough of these films to comment on most of your choices, except of course the foreign category, and I agree with you on A Separation. It is the best film by a clear margin. The Skin I Live In, and 13 Assassins are also in my top 10. I'll actually be posting a list of them next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent choices. BTW, any technical winners such as cinematography, editing, score, soundtrack, art direction, and all of that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you ever catch up with Disney's new Winnie the Pooh? I still am not sure if I like it more than Rango, but it's easily one of the best animated films from this year.

    I've still got to catch up with a lot of your choice, particularly A Separation, Take Shelter and We Need to Talk About Kevin. Looking forward to all three a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reading and for the comments everyone. I'll be back on later with some personal replies. Gotta start work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Particularly glad to see Brad Pitt get some love for the right film (Tree Of Life), as well as Michael Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the choices, man! Especially my darling Jessica Chastain and Senna :) Man, I wish I had seen half of the movies that you have this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list Andy and great choices!I was a little surprised to see Brad Pitt winning best supporting actor, but he was, indeed, great in Tree of Life as the father! Interested to see your top 30 list! But go back to work- good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Colin - Thanks for reading Colin - I feel honoured that such a fine writer and film connoisseur as yourself regularly stops by. This was fun to put together, and though I still haven't seen a bunch of big releases - I felt like I could fill each category with some quality nominees. I'm glad that we agree on a lot of the choices, but the fact that they're not identical is great too. That means there is room for discussion!

    @ Pete - You won't see many of these nominees up for an Oscar, I'll tell you that. A Separation is sublime. Flawless even.

    @ Sam - I do indeed. There'll be no Tree of Life in the mix, and SENNA wouldn't be your top doc. #Weird but I'd look forward to seeing what you'd select should you put a post together.

    @ Bonjour - That Foreign Language category is very strong. IN A BETTER WORLD dropped out, but the other five are all in my Top 30 of 2011. A SEPARATION is definitely the standout, however. Looking forward to your list. I think we'll align pretty closely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Steven - I did think about doing the technical categories as well, but then I wasn't sure whether to have a category for each, or choose ten technical achievements to recognise. If I were to choose some films for score, cinematography and score, I would go with:

    Score - Reznor/Ross for TGWTDT (though I haven't seen how the music is used in the film yet), The Chemical Brothers for HANNA, Cliff Martinez for DRIVE and/or CONTAGION, Desplat for THE IDES OF MARCH and/or THE TREE OF LIFE and Alberto Iglesias for THE SKIN I LIVE IN. I also liked the accompanying score in SENNA.

    Cinematography - Lubezki for THE TREE OF LIFE and the work in DRIVE, MELANCHOLIA, MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS and MEEK'S CUTOFF.

    Editing - SENNA, THE TREE OF LIFE, DRIVE, MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE, WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN and HANNA.

    I'm sure I have forgotten a lot, but they come to mind at the moment.

    @ James - I didn't get the chance to see Winnie the Pooh. I know it played briefly in Melbourne, but definitely not in Sydney. I have heard it is great though. The only one I'm not sure about for you is KEVIN. It's been really divisive. The other two you will like a lot.

    @ NeverTooEarly - I liked Pitt in MONEYBALL, but I thought he was superb in ToL, and I'm surprised he isn't getting more recognition for his work there.

    @ Stevee - I have had a lot more opp. for films than I expected, but it still took a lot of work to see all that I have. You have school, and I think it amazing how much you fit in as it is. Yeah, Jessica Chastain is my Woman of the Year!!

    @ Aziza - Work is finished, and I'm trying to complete my Top 30 now. It's taking me so long to do. My second fav. supporting performance is John Hawkes in MMMM. Neither he nor Pitt will be recognised for their work in that category. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dude I do this every year to, it's easily my favorite part of the end-of-the-year wrap ups. Love your choices; Pitt for supporting is interesting. Lovin' it man, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks man. Yeah, I thought he was superb in ToL, and I view it as a Supporting Performance. Look forward to checking out yours.

    ReplyDelete