Friday, December 16, 2011

Awards Watch: Golden Globe Nominations

The Artist leads the way with six nominations.

Best Motion Picture – Drama

The Descendants
The Help
Hugo
The Ides of March
Moneyball
War Horse


This might decide whether or not The Ides of March makes it into the Oscar selections. A nomination for Clooney (director) certainly strengthens that claim. The Descendants, The Help, Hugo and Moneyball could be locked in with their inclusion here, but War Horse is a massive head scratcher. Those who have already seen it will know what I mean.


Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy

50/50
The Artist
Bridesmaids
Midnight In Paris

My Week With Marilyn


Few surprises here. Though I am openly against Bridesmaids I expected it to feature. The Artist and Midnight in Paris will fight it out. The Artist will win, but Midnight in Paris might sneak into an Oscar nomination (Woody Allen also nominated for Best Director). No The Muppets. It's infinitely better than Bridesmaids. What a shame.


Best Actor – Drama

George Clooney
– The Descendants
Michael Fassbender – Shame
Leonardo DiCaprio – J. Edgar
Ryan Gosling – The Ides of March
Brad Pitt – Moneyball



I predicted that if Gosling got a nomination, it would be for The Ides of March. But over Michael Shannon in Take Shelter? No. Still no Oldman, but I am expecting Clooney, Pitt and Fassbender to join Dujardin and either DiCaprio or Shannon on Oscar day.


Best Actress - Drama

Glenn Close - Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis - The Help
Rooney Mara - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady
Tilda Swinton - We Need To Talk About Kevin


No surprises here. With Charlize Theron and Michelle Williams moving into comedy, Rooney Mara is given a shot. Still, it's between Tilda and Meryl.


Best Actor - Musical or Comedy

Jean Dujardin - The Artist
Brendan Gleeson - The Guard
Joseph Gordon-Levitt - 50/50
Ryan Gosling - Crazy, Stupid, Love
Owen Wilson - Midnight in Paris


This is interesting. I'm glad to see Owen Wilson, a little surprised to see Ryan Gosling (though he was good) and pleased to see JGL. This will be between Gleeson (outstanding) and Dujardin. My money is on the latter. The Artist topped with six nominations.


Best Actress - Musical or Comedy

Jodie Foster - Carnage
Kate Winslet - Carnage
Charlize Theron - Young Adult
Kristen Wiig - Bridesmaids
Michelle Williams - My Week With Marilyn


I never knew Carnage was a comedy. Or Young Adult. Still, Michelle Williams will win this I assume.



Best Supporting Actor

Kenneth Branagh - My Week With Marilyn
Albert Brooks - Drive
Jonah Hill - Moneyball
Viggo Mortensen − A Dangerous Method
Christopher Plummer - Beginners


Great to see Albert Brooks back following the SAG snub. Still Jonah Hill, and no John Hawkes for Martha Marcy May Marlene. Plummer and Branagh are there again. Heard great things about Viggo, and he might compete with Notle for that final spot.


Best Supporting Actress

Berenice Bejo - The Artist
Jessica Chastain - The Help
Octavia Spencer - The Help
Shailene Woodley - The Descendants
Janet McTeer - Albert Nobbs


The same as the SAG, but with McCarthy replaced by Woodley, which makes the Globes significantly better in this category. Still no Mulligan.

Best Screenplay

Midnight in Paris
The Ides of March
The Artist
The Descendants
Moneyball


Who is going to win this? Woody? Alexander Payne and co. for The Descendants? Zailian and Sorkin for Moneyball? Probably The Artist. 

Best Animated Film


The Adventures of Tintin
Arthur Christmas
Cars 2
Puss in Boots
Rango


No Kung-Fu Panda 2? It's far better than both Cars 2 and Puss in Boots. This was always between Rango and Tintin though.

Best Foreign Language Film


A Separation (Iran)
The Flowers of War (China)
The Kid with the Bike (Belgium)
In the Land of Blood and Honey
The Skin I Live In (Spain)

A Separation should take this out, with The Skin I Live In likely it's chief competitor. I'm seeing the latter tonight so I'll report back.

Best Original Score

Ludovic Bource - The Artist
Abel Korzeniowski - W.E
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Howard Shore - Hugo
John Williams - War Horse


I would like to scream in anger about one of these inclusions, but I'm not allowed to. No nomination for Desplat or Cliff Martinez (two of the year's best in Drive and Contagion) or The Chemical Brothers (Hanna). I hope Reznor/Ross own this and not the final name mentioned.

Best Original Song

"Hello Hello" - Gnomeo & Juliet - Elton John
"Lay Your Head Down - Albert Nobbs - Sinead O' Connor
"The Living Proof" - The Help - Mary J. Blige
"The Keeper" - Machine Gun Preacher - Chris Cornell
"Masterpiece  - W.E - Madonna

Nothing for The Muppets. What a disgrace.

So, send me your thoughts. Are you happy/displeased with the nominations? Does this make-up for the SAG? How do you think this will translate to Oscar nominations?

7 comments:

  1. What is with the Drive snubs? WHAT?! Albert Brooks better win this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm surprised by Gosling's IOM om instead of the Drive one .. Strange. I guess it's too .. silent to grab the attention of the Foreign Press.

    I hate the comedy category this year almost as much as last year. Brrrghhh why is it even a category?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did Madonna do to secure the music nods for her shit film? I really hope NIN wins the Best Score though I think Cliff Martinez did a better job with the score work for Drive.

    The Original Songs nominations are uninspiring. No songs from The Muppets. Are you serious bro?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Nikhat - I am hoping DRIVE will make it in as a wildcard entry in Best Pic. at the Oscars. To be honest I didn't think Gosling would be nominated for DRIVE, but a double nom was unexpected. I think Brooks will get nominated, and some of the tech work (cinematography, score, editing etc.) will be considered.

    @ Anna - Comedy will be down to THE ARTIST and MIDNIGHT in Paris. The others have no chance. Both will get Best Pic nominations too, I assume.

    @ Steven - I haven't seen DRAGON TATTOO yet, but I can't wait for their score. No Martinez is unforgivable. I expect Howard Shore and Ludovic Bource to be there. I have also liked Desplat's work this year. TREE OF LIFE wouldn't have been the same, would it? I usually hate the Original Song category, but I was looking forward to it this year because of THE MUPPETS. Oh wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already have the score for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Expect a review of the album around next week on my other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really don't get all the love of Ides Of March- don't get me wrong, it is a great movie, but Best Director? Over McQueen and Refn? Gosling best actor, better then Gosling, Drive? Weird! They must really really love Clooney!
    Happy for JGL, Fassbender and Mara- I hope Fassbender wins! :)
    Can't wait to see Girl with the Dragon Tattoo!
    Oh, and too bad Nick Nolte wasn't there, I thought he was great in Warrior- maybe the Oscars will give him a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been tempted to get the score for DT but I thought I'd just wait to hear how the music is used in the film.

    Aziza, I really liked The Ides of March, and though it doesn't sit in my Top 10 of the year, of the eligible candidates for Best Picture, I'd give it a shot. I thought the performances were all great, and I thought Gosling's work was on par with his work in Drive. I also thought it was a tight screenplay, the film was compelling, surprising and well-paced and the score was excellent. But cons. that it received such cold reviews in the U.S (at times) I expected it to miss out. It's inclusion here is a surprise, but I'm all for it. Clooney over Winding Refn is a bit of a shock, though.

    I'm looking forward to Dragon Tattoo, and though Mara got nominated, I'd say she has no chance at an Oscar nom. Also, I hope the Academy considers John Hawkes and Nick Nolte, and not Jonah Hill - but if Moneyball gets a ton of nominations (Pic, Screenplay, Pitt, then he might follow suit). Who knows?? Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete