Friday, December 2, 2011

Awards Watch: HUGO Named Best Film By the National Board of Review


It is reported that Hugo and director Martin Scorsese have taken out Best Film of the Year and Best Director at the National Board of Review. The Descendants also picked up multiple awards. Here are some of the winners:

Best Film: Hugo


Best Director: Martin Scorsese, Hugo


Best Actor: George Clooney, The Descendants


Best Actress: Tilda Swinton, We Need to Talk About Kevin


Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners


Best Supporting Actress: Shailene Woodley, The Descendants


Best Original Screenplay: Will Reiser, 50/50


Best Adapted Screenplay: Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, The Descendants


Best Animated Feature: Rango


Breakthrough Performance: Felicity Jones, Like Crazy


Breakthrough Performance: Rooney Mara, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


Debut Director: J.C Chandor, Margin Call


Best Ensemble: The Help


Spotlight Award: Michael Fassbender (A Dangerous Method, Shame, Jane Eyre and X-Men: First Class)

Best Foreign Language Film: A Separation


Best Documentary: Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory


Special Achievement in Filmmaking: The Harry Potter Franchise - A Distinguished Translation from Book to Film

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad Hugo is getting some love. I really think it's a great film. I'm just happy that masters like Malick, Allen, Polanski, and Scorsese can prove that they still got some magic in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I received an invite for an early (think September) screening of Hugo. I accepted, naturally, but the theater was changed at the last minute to one that was 2 1/2 hours away (in traffic) instead of my local :P

    I still want to see it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Steven - No one in Australia has seen Hugo (that I know of) but I was surprised and excited to see such great reviews coming out of the U.S. I'm happy you liked it.

    @ Brian - Back in September, I guess no-one expected it to be all that good. Now, it seems like the 2 1/2 hour trip could have been worth it haha. I hope you get a chance to see it!

    ReplyDelete