Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Releases (08/12)


There are just two new releases in cinemas this week: Puss in Boots and New Year's Eve. 

Puss In Boots - Long before he even met Shrek, the notorious fighter, lover and outlaw Puss in Boots becomes a hero when he sets off on an adventure with the tough and street smart Kitty Softpaws and the mastermind Humpty Dumpty to save his town. This is the true story of The Cat, The Myth, The Legend...The Boots. Don't expect this to be a Shrek, but it might be a bit of fun. I have heard the animation and the 3D is stellar.

New Year's Eve - The follow-up to Valentine's Day celebrates love, hope, forgiveness, second chance and fresh starts, in the intertwining stories told amidst the pulse and promise of New York City on the most dazzling night of the year. I saw it this evening, and as expected, it is not a good film. The cast (which features cameos to the cameos) are wasted on material so uninvolving, and stories so corny and predictable, that it is a surprise as much laughter and pleasantness remains.

Weekly Recommendation: Of these two, definitely Puss in Boots.

7 comments:

  1. I just saw the trailer for NYE on TV tonight with the sound off, and that was enough to put me off it. I'd likely watch Puss in Boots when it came to TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to see it either, although I could make an exception just for Seth Meyers and Jessica Biel (Seth is the head writer at SNL and he is just great)- but probably waiting for it to come on DVD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might rent Puss in Boots but New Year's Eve? Not a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally, we have the exact same cinema releases! Except the movies don't look that great...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ James - Yeah, don't bother with New Year's Eve. Seriously. It's all there in the trailer.

    @ Steven - Ryan Secrest. How annoying is that guy? Most of the cast are annoying, but they have moments of mild charm here - which gives the film a breezy and near-enjoyable atmosphere, if it wasn't for the awful writing and the way that stories are chopped together.

    @ Aziza - Their story is not worth the price of admission. Trust me.

    @ Ruth - I'll see Puss in Boots later in the week, or next week. I'm not all that interested, but I imagine it is better than NYE.

    @ Stevee - That is a rare occurrence. But yet, it's a dull week...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled upon Valentine's Day on cable a few months back and decided to watch it. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, given that it was a Tuesday night at home. So I'll probably do the same thing for New Year's Eve, and watch it a year and half from now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check it out on DVD or free-to-air TV. Don't waste money on it - your life will not be improved. In fact, there is more chance it will be forever scarred.

    ReplyDelete