Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday Links (16/07/12)

This week has been busy. Lots of work, and lots of time devoted to arranging my trip to MIFF next month, and not many reviews. Sometimes its good to take a break. Here is my desired MIFF schedule, and here is a link to the full line-up

I also saw Margaret on Friday night. It is now in my Top 10 of 2012 so far.


During the week I also re-watched Taxi Driver, and watched Once Upon A Time in the West for the first time. I doubt I will see two better films this month.

In the lead-up to The Dark Knight Rises, I also re-watched Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. As expected, TDK did not hold up well. Plagued with issues, the only sequences I really enjoyed are those featuring Heath Ledger, whose performances is far and above the rest of the film. On the big screen it was undoubtedly one of the best cinematic experiences to come out in recent blockbuster years, but on DVD (removing the excellent spectacle), with the film's convoluted and confusing narrative (there really isn't much of a story), plot contrivances, and that disappointing final third, it doesn't engage me anymore. So, I am moderately anticipating The Dark Knight Rises, but not going berserk with anticipation.

On with this week's top articles:

My attention was just brought to this article on Margaret by David Edelstein. If you have seen the film and looking forward to the Director's Cut, it is worth a read.

Alex @ And So It Begins contributes a list of his Top 10 Oliver Stone Films to Top 10 Films. His selections at #1 and #2 match my own. Alex also takes a look at Steven Soderbergh's Ploy For Naturalism.

Jessica looks at her favourite Mountain Trekking Movies. I have never seen Alive. I remember it was always playing on television. At least once a year.

This is one for Australian residents only, but Richard Gray at The Reel Bits has copies of 50/50 to give away. No one in Australia got to see this film, so its an excellent opportunity to pick up a copy of this very well-received and Oscar-nominated film.

Steven takes a look at both version of Insomnia. Here's his thoughts on Nolan's. I think it is one of his best films.

Ryan reviews Welcome to the Dollhouse. Todd Solondz has scarred me for life with Happiness.

I like Seth Rogenand Simon, who writes at Quickflix Blog, shares his Top 10 Performances. I have not seen the film he has selected at #1 but Rogen's work in Knocked Up is his best in my opinion.

Sati makes some interesting visual parallels between Young Adult and Mulholland Drive.

Vinny @ We Talk About Movies lists his Top 10 Movies of 2012 (So Far). I am actually seeing a couple of his top choices shortly.

And finally, Sam shares his thoughts on Woody Allen's new film, To Rome With Love. 

Hope everyone has a great week.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the linkage. I'm now nearly finished with my Auteurs piece on Nolan which will probably be finished this weekend after I see The Dark Knight Rises.

    All this talk about Margaret now has me interested in seeing it. I just want to know what the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check it out. I would recommend delving straight into the Director's Cut edition.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link Andy. Need to talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Yeah, we should arrange to have a chat. But I'm always busy. Having said that, I have been pretty lazy this month. Winter blues. Limited new releases, no monthly feature and general laziness.

      Delete
  3. YES! The third act of TDK is a mess. Really, the only reason the film got such praise is Ledger's outstanding performance but ironically because it's so good it makes everyone in the movie forgettable by comparision.

    Thank you for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel quite alone in my opinion about TDK. A friend of mine was quite outspoken about his hatred of it from the beginning, a when I watched it again (this is a couple of years back) I understood what he meant. I gave it a re-watch in the lead-up to TDKR and it didn't hold up (again!). If Ledger wasn't there...wow, it would be a boring film. Def. check out RISES though. It is epic in every conceivable way.

      Delete
  4. 50/50 had a release in Melbourne at Cinema Nova, great movie and totally perplexing as to why it didn't get a wider release.

    I guess the same could be said for Margaret, another great but ignored movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. I remember it having a release at Nova. Cannot understand why it never came to Sydney. A real shame.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the links Andy! I thought we'd agree on those top Stone choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, for sure. Both are firmly cemented in my All Time Top 100. Love that THE DOORS is quite high too. I think its pretty decent.

      Delete