Saturday, December 28, 2013

22 Best 'New To Me' Films in 2013

Again I wanted to acknowledge some films that I watched for the first time this year that weren't just released in 2013. The last two years I revealed the films exclusively using a screen shot, challenging readers to figure out what the film is themselves. I have done it the same way this year.


Films: Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (F.W Murnau), High Noon (Fred Zinnemann, 1952), Playtime (Jacques Tati, 1967), Walkabout (Nicolas Roeg, 1971), Westworld (Michael Crichton, 1973), Badlands (Terrence Malick, 1973), The King of Comedy (Martin Scorsese, 1982), A Nightmare on Elm Street (Wes Craven. 1984), Stop Making Sense (Jonathan Demme, 1984), Hannah and Her Sisters (Woody Allen, 1986), Drugstore Cowboy (Gus Van Sant, 1989), Sex Lies and Viedotape (Steven Soderbergh, 1989), Dazed and Confused (Richard Linklater, 1993), Whisper of the Heart (Yoshifumi KondĂ´, 1995), Before Sunrise (Richard Linklater, 1995), Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick, 1999), Before Sunset (Richard Linklater, 2004), The Fountain (Darren Aronofsky, 2006), Zero Dark Thirty (Kathryn Bigelow, 2012), Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russell, 2012), Cloud Atlas (Lana and Andy Wachowski, Tom Tykwer, 2012), and Gravity (Alfonso Cuaron, 2013). 

3 comments:

  1. Sunrise featured prominently on my 2012 'New to me' list. It's incredible. The Before.. films are on this years.

    I love how many amazing films I discover each year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing "The King of Comedy" at the movie theater when it was released. I hadn't seen anything with Jerry Lewis since years before that, but what really piqued my interest was watching the trailer with Robert DeNiro in that suit and moustache and hearing everyone around him never getting his name right. Absolutely loved it! Glad it made your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. So many good choices in this group. Dazed and Confused, Sunrise, Before Sunset, Stop Making Sense, and so many more. Great list!

    ReplyDelete