Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday Links (23/04/12)


Though the traffic to my site this week has been excellent (mostly Avengers related) it has been a quieter week in terms of content. I had a blogging-free weekend, which was courtesy of working a lot and having a life. To be honest, I wasn't really motivated to write anything either. There are no screenings lined up this week, having already seen The Avengers and having to wait to see Wish You Were Here and Cafe De Flore (which could equal a fantastic week of releases -  a nice change) after their official release on the 25 April. Between now and then, there will be some more Ghibli and a Korean film or two - and I'll probably just catch up on some casual viewing. That pile of DVDs gets bigger every week.

Three things I want to highlight from the last week:

1. The Avengers. My review was one of the first to be available online (I was very lucky to see the film when I did - thanks to Mr. Chris Elena) but I can confirm that it is not just a fantastic superhero film, but a really entertaining and satisfying piece of cinema. Don't miss it.

2. A Night to Remember DVD Giveaway. If you are an Australian resident, I have a great chance for you to pick up a copy of A Night to Remember, the classic titanic tale that James Cameron used for a blueprint for his memorable blockbuster. Courtesy of Roadshow Entertainment, I have five copies to give away and I would love to get a few more names into the mix. All you have to do is email me your name and address, with A Night to Remember in the subject. If you don't follow me on Twitter, or email subscribe to my blog, this is a consideration.

3. The Official 2012 Cannes Film Festival Line-up. Fantastic line-up. Lots of films to look out for later in the year. Especially at MIFF.

Now, on with the links:

Sati reviews another Cronenberg classic: The Fly

Alex reviews American Psycho, a first-time watch.

One film I have been trying to see since SFF last year is Tomboy. Tom Clift reviews it this week.

Many credit Days of Heaven as Terrence Malick's best work. It is a pretty extraordinary film. Stevee watched it for the first time this week.

For reassurance that The Avengers is awesome and some info about the 3D, be sure to check out Sam's review @ An Online Universe.

Alex Withrow @ And So It Begins has recently been working on Earrings, a film he has written and directed. I wish him all the best. You can find a log of his experiences via the link.

Blake @ Castle Co-Op has recently started an awesome series where he and some guest writers are reviewing every film in the prestigious fan-voted IMDB Top 50. He kicks it off with Paths of Glory.

Sam, in his Sunday personal, searched for clarity and raises some interesting questions about how we evolve as people.

Andrew takes an in-depth look at some of the fantastic moments in Serenity.

Corey looks at how Lockout successfully reconstructs the action genre.

The Kid in the Front Row reflects on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

For his 500th review, Groggy takes a look at Michael Mann's The Insider.

Littlerock gets a 10/10 from Colin at Pick 'n' Mix Flix which means it is essential viewing.

Finally, tune into the most recent MOTM Lambcast to hear the gang discuss Inglourious Basterds

Hope everyone has a great week!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link! I hope I'll be able to catch The Avengers in the theatres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will get a massive U.S release. You'll see it!

      Delete
  2. Appreciate the link to my post today Andy. For whatever reason, it's not receiving too much response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a really contemplative and thoughtful post my friend. Well done.

      Delete
  3. Five days until I get to see The Avengers! I'm as excited as one of those little girls were to go to a One Direction concert (bad comparison, I know, and even though I won't be fainting or anything, it literally does sum up my excitement).

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be excited. Look forward to hearing what you think.

      Delete
  4. Andy, thanks so much for the link, I appreciate it more than you know.

    ReplyDelete