Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday Links (07/11)


It has been a bit of a slow start to the month. I haven't posted as regularly as usual, and there have been a couple of days where I have been too busy, and another where I had invested interest in other things. I started the week with a screening of We Need to Talk About Kevin, an extraordinary and unsettling film. It became one of only five 5 Star reviews so far in 2011.

I then had a day off from work/writing and had a Paul Thomas Anderson double feature (Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love) before watching and reviewing Vivre sa vie last Thursday. I watched The First Grader (review to be posted later today) and Anonymous that very same evening. That felt like one of the longest days ever, I can assure you. I also had this strange urge to re-watch Brian De Palma's Scarface (a film I initially didn't care for) and Carlito's Way (a film I thought was under appreciated). I visited my parents for a couple of days and amidst some family engagements, I watched the latter there.

As for my stats, it has been a disappointing week. It's as if the tick over to a new month meant that my views would significantly drop. I can't explain it, but huge thanks to everyone who continues to leave comments on my posts. I greatly appreciate all of the feedback and hope you enjoy stopping by the check out what I have to say about the films I review. Without further ado, here are some of the weeks top articles and a few sites I suggest you check out:

Dan Stephens @ Top 10 Films discusses his attraction to horror cinema and the Top 10 British Films of the 1940's. I was glad to see a couple of Powell and Pressburger masterpieces included.

Jessica @ The Velvet Cafe questions What Makes a Good Film Critic? She's not alone, Ben Cooper @ Anomalous Material raises similar issues in his article, What's the Point of the Movie Critic Anyway? 

Kevyn Knox's review of John Carpenter's Halloween for LAMBS in the Director's Chair @ The Most Beautiful Fraud in the World is well worth a read. 

I haven't read Ryan McNeil's review of The Skin I Live In, because I want to watch it knowing as little as possible. But, if you're intrigued by the new Almodovar, be sure to stop by The Matinee to check it out.

Anna has unveiled her 123 Films That Everyone Should See! list. It's pretty rad.

Tyler @ Southern Vision is a man never short on ideas. This week he looks at the Women of Ingmar Bergman.

John @ John Likes Movies watched and reviewed two of my 2011 favourites this week: Take Shelter and Martha Marcy May Marlene.

Ruth @ Flixchatter shares her Top 5 Worst James Bond Films Ever Made.

For her 700th Post Stevee @ Cinematic Paradox tackles the Favourite Film Argument.

Aziza @ Aziza's Picks, a flourishing little blog, has reviewed Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line this week. 

Finally, be sure to stop by Duke and the Movies and leave Sam your Top 10 Favourite Films of the 80's as part of his History of Film special.

Arrivederci. Hope everyone has a great week.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the linkage.

    Sweet PTA double feature you had there. I wouldn't mind seeing both those movies again, as they're both in my Top 100 favourite films. I actually consider Sandler's performance in PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE to be one of the best acting performances of the last decade. Funnily enough, it is the only film I've liked him in, and with each passing movie the faith I once had in his acting capability grows smaller and smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a good day. I had seen Magnolia and There Will Be Blood already this year, so I figured I would give his other films another watch. PDL will definitely be in my Top 100 when I update it. Totally agree on Sandler. He was excellent and I have liked him in NOTHING else apart from this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link love, Andy, what an honor to be in this awesome company of movie bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Ruth. Your brilliant site is certainly one of the elites, but yes there are some great writers here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link!

    I can't wait to see We Need to Talk About Kevin. I just recently watched Punch-Drunk Love myself, and loved it. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a copy of Boogie Nights, Magnolia and There Will Be Blood (they all seem to be AWOL in NZ for some strange reason), and then I'd make a night of PTA movies. Well maybe two nights, because his films aren't the shortest! PTA rocks, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for bringing me on this week!

    Re: blog statistics I'd suggest you to not pay too much attention to it. It's the time of the year where there are a lot of seasonal events competing for people's time and attention. I think it affects us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For whatever it's worth, you got me as a loyal reader.

    Thanks for the link as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "flourishing little blog"- love it! Thanks Andy! don't worry about the views, they'll come around soon enough! I would suppose Christmas and the hollidays are pretty interesting online,no?I usually spend a lot of time in front of the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Stevee - Congrats on the 700. I'm getting close too. As much as I love PTA I don't think I could get through all of his films in one night either. I have watched There Will Be Blood at least twice a year since I saw it back at the start of 2008. It could be time to watch it again.

    @ Jessica - You're welcome! Yeah, you're right. I just though it was strange.

    @ Sam - I know that, my friend. Of course!

    @ Aziza - It is coming along - you hit 1,000 page views today. Happy to direct people there. Yeah, in the month leading up to the Oscars (February something) there will be plenty of traffic. Over Xmas too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice, some great links to catch up with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you find some interesting reading here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It takes some time to get growing. I've recently seen a viewership of 400-500 a day for the last two weeks. Your doing the right thing. A double dose of PTA sounds like a fine day to me. I'll continue to stop by and I hope someday I'm featured in your links!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I appreciate the support Max. I have been hitting consistent numbers all year. I just found it strange to recognise a notable drop off come Nov 1st. I'll do likewise and try and include you in future posts!

    ReplyDelete