Monday, November 28, 2011

Monday Links (28/11)


Today, with the internet down and a heap of posts planned, I felt anxious and swamped by work. It has been an eventful week. Earlier in the week, I caught up with the powerful Australian documentary The Tall Man, and yesterday saw Tarsem Singh's new film, Immortals. Continuing my Godard marathon, I reviewed Masculine Feminine and for the LAMB Director's Chair I reviewed Woody Allen's Manhattan. I also debated whether 2007 was the last great year for film, listed 20 Summer Flicks You'd be Sorry to Miss, updated my Top 100 Films and then justified why I picked Platoon at #1. 

But, lets see what everyone else has been up to:

Ruth @ Lets Be Splendid About This catches up with The Trip, one of the funniest films of the year.

Steve @ 1001Plus reviews American Graffiti.

Castor reviews The Muppets @ Anomalous Material. 

Reviews are coming in for The Descendents. Be sure to check out Alex's @ And So it Begins and Sam's @ Duke and the Movies. I can't wait to see it - and I am seeing it pretty soon.

For LAMBS in the Director's Chair, Nikhat @ Being Norma Jean reveals her 10 Favourite Woody Allen Films

CS @ Big Thoughts From A Small Mind reviews Midnight in Paris.

You gotta stop by Cut Print Review and check out Anders' video review of Breaking Dawn - Part 1. Hilarious.

Max @ Impassioned Cinema reviews Bellflower, a film he saw at IFFBoston.

Michael's guest post @ Flixchatter compares the animated films, Wall-E and The Iron Giant.

Phil @ Phil On Film gets it spot on in his review of Snowtown.

Tyler @ Southern Vision writes a double review on two Kieslowski gems: A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love

Jessica @ The Velvet Cafe looks at 15 Ways to Leave A Movie. Really interesting.

Filmdrivel is a site I was recently introduced to. Stewart recently reviewed City of God. 

Matt S @ Matt and the Art of Motion Pictures has been a regular visitor recently. He has just switched to Wordpress and gave Hugo a big score.

I was recently contacted by Madison Smith who runs a site called hollywoodmemorabilia.com, which is a premier destination for authentic Hollywood entertainment memorabilia and collectibles. Well worth a look if you are seeking out a rare piece of Hollywood merchandise.

Well, that is all. With the internet back and working at a respectable level, I was able to squeeze this post out. I am busy over the next few days but expect more reviews later in the week.

11 comments:

  1. Lots of links this week, especially considering you've been out of Internet. Thank you very much for the linkage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link Andy. I really enjoyed Bellflower. Probably more than a lot of people, but it feels low budget and gritty, which was enjoyable in this case. Hope you had a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It's a good little flick, I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Nikhat - Sure thing. I am ashamed to see I haven't seen too many on your list.

    @ Sam - No worries man.

    @ Jessica - The internet has been intermittent, which is more annoying - because I think it is working and then it disappears, leaving me with half a post complete. You're welcome re: link. What's your favourite ending of the year so far?

    @ Max - Glad to hear it. I hope I get the chance to see it! Thanks Max, I had a couple of days with my parents, and had a fight to the death with the internet connection - luckily I won.

    @ Alex - I hope so. I'm seeing it tonight :-p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the linkage, Andy. Some great links this week all around.

    Also, thanks for reminding me that I need to catch up on Godard's works (only seen Bande A Part so far). I have been enjoying your marathon so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the linkage! I like to have a few posts pre-written so that all I have to do is click Publish. It saves me time and makes things a lot less stressful. Say, if it's a Sunday and you've got nothing to do, spend a few hours writing posts, so that, over the course of the week, you can just click publish and forget about the stress of trying frantically to come up with ideas. It might not be the best way to do it, but it's how I like to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melancholia has an ending that I won't forget anytime soon, if ever.

    The end of the Norweigan film Oslo 31 August, which I saw the other day, brought tears to my eyes and made me stay seated for a while, just taking it in.

    The resolution of Incendies is very strong, but I think there was some post-end-scene there after the climax of the movie, when everything dawned upo me, so I don't think it counts for the very end.

    If I have to pick one it will be Melancholia, period.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ CS - You're welcome! Thanks for checking out the Godard marathon - he made some great films in the 60's, I highly recommend working through them. It has been fun, but a lot of work. Got a couple still to go, but looking to have a quieter December - which will mean just sticking to a heap of new releases, and screeners haha.

    @ Tyler - I totally agree with that - it sounds like a great idea. Sometimes I have a couple of posts ready to go ahead, but in most cases I write and then immediately post - and I do so in order. I'm never short on ideas, just the time to squeeze in, and work on, what I want to see and write about. I have gotten better with my time management, my ability to focus and shortened the time it takes to write reviews over the last 12 months, but things hit a snag when the internet goes down etc. Thanks for the advice man.

    @ Matt - No worries man. Keep up the awesome site.

    @ Jessica - I also liked the end of Incendies - such a brutal punch to the stomach. I agree, the end of Melancholia was an incredible moment, but if it wasn't the sense of relief that the film was finally over, it might have weighed on my mind a little bit more. Still, Im seeing it again this week - giving it another chance :-)

    ReplyDelete