Monday, May 30, 2011

Monday Links 30/05

Well, so ends yet another busy film week. I started the week by re-watching Bullitt and The Last of the Mohicans. Great films! I then predominantly stuck to new releases. I still have to see Angele et Tony and Of Gods and Men, but I managed to keep to the schedule by seeing The Hangover Part II, Get Low and Snowtown. While the first two viewings were pretty disappointing, the latter was one of the most unsettling films I have seen in some time. It is a superbly crafted Australian crime drama and one of the year's best films to date. Certainly worthy of all its post-Cannes praise.

I also re-watched Winter's Bone, which was just as good as on first viewing, and ended the week by watching City Island last night. This was a film I had heard of by name only, but knew nothing about. While it had some amusing moments, and a pretty good performance from Andy Garcia, the Rizzo's felt like such an artificial dysfunctional family, that its lack of realism and predictability left me disinterested.

Here are some links for y'all:

The Reel Bits, the collaboration between Australian film critics, Richard Gray and Sarah Ward, has recently been covering the 2011 Spanish Film Festival. Sarah also reviewed the newly released Get Low.

Luke from Journalistic Skepticism reveals his number #1 Film in his Top 100 Countdown.

Jack at Jack L. Film Reviews wraps up his Silent Movie Marathon with Nanook of the North, and reveals his Top 5 Phillip Seymour Hoffman Films.

Castor and Nicholas review Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris at Anomalous Material. I'm really looking forward to this film.

Film Forager is up for Best Blog at the LAMMY's so I thought I'd check out Alex's reviews. His review of Bridesmaids really has me interested in seeing the film (I formerly was not).

Stevee at Cinematic Paradox debates whether Rooney Mara has what it takes to be the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Bonjour Tristesse reviews the new Julian Schnabel film, Miral.

Anna at 5plitreel reveals why One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of her favourite films of all time.

Katina Vangopoulos of Cut Print Review was at Cannes. She really liked Drive.

I can't wait to see 13 Assassins at the Sydney Film Festival. CS of Big Thoughts from a Small Mind shares his thoughts on it.

Many critics have panned Pirates: On Stranger Tides, but none so well as Tom Clift from Movie Reviews by Tom Clift. He gets it spot on.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the linkage Andy!

    Of Gods and Men is great, totally deserving of all the awards it won here in France. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First "Monday Link" I'm not included in.

    I'm heartbroken Andy :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure why it says "Anonymous"

    It was me - nice review of "Get Low" by the way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the link, now I'm looking forward to seeing Snowtown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jack L - You're welcome! I have only heard great things about Of Gods and Men. It sounds like a terrific story!

    @ Sam - Next time, my friend! :-)

    @ Anna - Sure thing! Your 30 Day Film Challenge is very interesting!

    @ Bonjour Tristesse - No problem! Keep up the great reviews! Snowtown is definitely worth seeing if you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks heaps for the linkage Andy! And it's true what they say: it is way more fun writing a negative review than a positive one...I certainly had much more fun panning POTC4 than I did watching it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Tom - Oh yeah, definitely! I had a blast with my review too! Any time man! Have you seen Snowtown yet? It's definitely one worth seeing!

    ReplyDelete