Monday, May 23, 2011

Tree of Life wins Palme d'Or at 2011 Cannes Film Festival


For anyone that hasn't yet heard, the Palme d'Or at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival has been awarded to Terrence Malick's new film The Tree of Life. With huge expectations placed on his most recent work, Malick's decision to enter the film in the Official Competition was evidently a good one. While the film has tended to polarise opinions (expected for a film with so much hype surrounding it), most of the reviews have been very positive. I can't wait for my screening of the film at the Sydney Film Festival on June 14. Tying for the Grand Prix were Once Upon a Time in Anatolia from director Nuri Bilge Ceylan and The Kid With a Bike from Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne. Other winners at the festival included Nicholas Winding Refn (Best Director, Drive), Jean Dujardin (Best Actor, The Artist) and Kirsten Dunst (Best Actress, Melancholia). Each of these films have captured my attention throughout the duration. Drive has a phenomenal cast and Melancholia is directed by Lars Von Trier, which means it is immediately worth a look. But I knew nothing about The Artist and I was made aware of it after it received such an ovation. It looks fantastic, and for Jean Dujardin to take out Best Actor for the film (which was playing Out of Competition) means that this is a film to look out for. It may even prove to be a strong Oscar candidate.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I'm happy that Malick won the Palme D'or. I'm excited by the films that played at the festival.

    Of course I will see The Tree of Life. In fact, I found out it's coming to Atlanta on June 3rd. I will definitely have a review that weekend.

    I'm hoping for Melancholia, The Artist, The Kid with a Bike, Poliss, The Skin I Live In, Drive, We Need to Talk About Kevin, and Sleeping Beauty come around to theaters this year.

    This was a good festival this year and I hope they rescind the ban on Lar von Trier because they need him to bring in the movies that people want to see. Just keep him away from press conferences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy too. I love all of his films, so its great to see him with a huge award to recognise his career. I think our official release is July something, so this SFF screening is early for us haha.

    I would say at least that Melancholia, The Artist, The Skin I Live In, Drive, We Need to Talk About Kevin and Sleeping Beauty will reach Sydney eventually. Actually, I am seeing Sleeping Beauty at the SFF also. Both it and Tree of Life are amongst the Official Competition.

    I think they will rescind the ban on Von Trier. I didn't see any malicious intentions, just a man digging a bigger hole for himself with every word. But his films are so incredible and cause such a stir that he would be certainly missed.

    ReplyDelete