Saturday, May 7, 2011

My 25 Favourite Horror/Science Fiction Films

It was a Friday night, and in-between episodes of the amazing HBO series, Boardwalk Empire, I thought I would make use of my very tired brain and formulate some meaningless lists. The result: My 25 Favourite Horror and Science Fiction Films.

First of all, horror:

1. The Shining
2. The Thing (1982)
3. The Wicker Man (1973)
4. Silence of the Lambs
5. Nosferatu (1922)
6. Jaws
7. Audition
8Halloween
9The Exorcist
10. American Psycho
11. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
12. An American Werewolf in London
13. Alien
14. Psycho
15. 28 Days Later
16. Let the Right One In
17. The Birds
18. Saw
19. Don't Look Now
20. The Blair Witch Project
21. The Sixth Sense
22. Evil Dead II
23. Scream
24. The Descent 
25. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari


Now, Science Fiction:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Blade Runner
3. Star Wars
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
5. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Aliens
8. Metropolis
9. Children of Men
10. The Matrix
11. Brazil
12. Planet of the Apes (1968)
13. The Truman Show
14. Jurassic Park
15. Wall-E
16. Stalker
17. 12 Monkeys
18. Return of the Jedi
19. Back to the Future
20. ET: The Extra Terrestrial
21. The Terminator
22. District 9
23. Moon
24. Gattaca
25. Dark City


What are your thoughts? What feature amongst your favourite horror/sci-fi genre films?

7 comments:

  1. Glad to see you put Moon and District 9 in there, and WALL-E, it deserves that much appreciation. A brilliant film. My one and two are 2001 and Blade Runner. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've seen Nosfeartu?! I absolutely love that movie! And Let the Right One In.
    I don't watch a lot of either of those genres. Horrors I really like are Carrie and the other two I mentioned, along with Psycho. And I watched American Psycho last night, which was pretty damn scary, so if you count that as a horror, then I like that too.
    As for sci-fi's I like District 9, Moon, Inception (if that counts), the new Star Trek, Back to the Future and The Matrix.
    Great lists anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nosferatu is amazing! The best film I saw in my Silent to Sound Cinema course. I considered American Psycho, but I don't know if its a horror film. I guess it is. Lots of these films could be considered across multiple genres though. Like Alien, and The Thing. I consider them horror films, but they share conventions with the science fiction genre. I'm sure these lists will change again in the very near future. I actually just watched The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari again...arguably the first German Expressionist example of the horror genre. It's a bizarre film, but evidently influential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices, I would choose pretty much the same films, although in a different order...

    It's interesting that you consider The Truman Show to be a SciFi films, I suppose it is in a way but I'd never thought of it like that before.
    I personally wouldn't consider Shaun of the Dead a Horror film, it's more of comedy really, but it is your list after all!

    The Shining is probably my favourite Horror film as well, I still can't understand why it was nominated for Razzies...
    I would probably include Scream in my favourite Horror as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the same number 1 for horror. Nice! SCREAM would definitely be higher up my list.

    If you don't consider AMERICAN PSYCHO horror, how can you possible include SHAUN OF THE DEAD :P (even EVIL DEAD II is a bit arguable)

    I also feel like including both LET ME IN and LET THE RIGHT ONE IN is cheating. Do you have a preference?

    One major absence from BOTH these lists in my opinion is Cronenberg's THE FLY. Love that film.

    Overall a totally awesome set of lists! Although AUDITION is the only movie I haven't been able to finish watching...bit too intense, even for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have made an error including Shaun of the Dead in the horror category. I would replace it with American Psycho! Jack, I have no idea why The Shining would be considered for the Razzies. I love it! Tom, I still prefer Let the Right One In, but as a horror film, perhaps the re-make is better? I really want to see The Fly...it is a film I have not seen. You should finish Audition, some crazy shit goes down!!

    Thanks for the comments guys. Look forward to seeing your 'Life in Movies' contributions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't seen The Thing, but the inclusion of Don't Look Now is great. Absolutely nerve-wracking ending.

    ReplyDelete