Thursday, January 12, 2012

Awards Watch: The American Society of Cinematographers Nominees

Here are the ASC nominees:

Jeff Cronenweth - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Emmanual Lubezki - The Tree of Life
Robert Richardson - Hugo
Guilliaume Schiffman - The Artist
Hoyt Van Hoytema - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

There's that film again - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Cronenweth was also nominated for Best Cinematography last year for The Social Network, but Lubezki is a genius and should win this for The Tree of Life. The other selections are no surprise, though I was expecting Janusz Kaminski (War Horse) to make an appearance. That is War Horse's biggest chance, and it really should be it's only chance for an Oscar nomination. Oh well. Other alternatives - Newton Thomas Sigel for Drive and Manuel Alberto Claro for Melancholia. Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Tree of Life, Hugo YES!! Haven't seen Artist or TTSS and Girl with Dragon Tattoo is nice but not better that Drive, definitely not better than Melancholia. So NO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Steven and SDG - I think Chivo has this. I also am yet to see TTSS or THE ARTIST, but I am seeing HUGO today so I'll see how I feel about Richardson's work. I really liked DRAGON TATTOO, and I think Cronenweth's work was superb. Better than DRIVE? No. But of a high standard nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete