Monday, May 28, 2012

Monday Links (28/05/12)

I'm sure some of you have recognised that I have changed the title of my blog. As I have had a few contributors recently, and am no longer the sole writer, I felt like I should drop off my name from the title. It is now called The Film Emporium to match the url, so feel free to update your blogrolls.

The winners for the 65th Cannes Film Festival were announced overnight, and there were a few surprises. Let me know your thoughts on the festival, and the decided winners.

During the week Chris Elena and Sam McCosh, whom many of you will know from the twitter circle, contributed reviews to the site as part of the monthly theme of female directors. Check out their thoughts on In the Cut and Morvern Callar.


The first teaser trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master was released during the week. It is awesome, and it certainly looks like Joaquin Phoenix is back.

The blockbuster season is upon us. I list 25 Films to keep an eye out for over the next three months.

The 76ers lost Game 7 against the Celtics yesterday. The dream is over. Still, I am a proud fan, with the youngsters going deeper than anyone expected, even having a chance to take Game 7.

Now, on to what everyone else has been writing about:

Ruth recently took a look at a pair of short films from Christopher Nolan and Martin Scorsese.

Alex takes a look at the all-too-brief career of John Cazale, and his short film, Earrings, has a one sheet.

The first trailer for The Great Gatsby has arrived. You can check it out at Anomalous Material.

 Diana has been watching a few films starring Robert De Niro recently. Check out her thoughts on Taxi Driver

Thomas Caldwell reviews Once Upon A Time in Anatolia. It picked up the Prix (i think) last year at Cannes, and I am very much looking forward to it at SFF.

Nick made me laugh. Check out Bill Murray at Cannes.

Please welcome James Blake Ewing of Cinema Sights to his new site. James' reviews are outstanding and he always finds something interesting and often different to analyse about each film.

Cillian Murphy is an excellent actor, and Stevee takes a look at her 10 Favourite Performances. My top two: 28 Days Later and Sunshine.

I am now intrigued by a film called Sound of My Voice. Sam liked it.

Finally, but certainly not least, a fantastic new site has just been launched by Blake Howard, formerly of Castle Co-Op, called Graffiti with Punctuation. He has a fantastic co-writer in Cam Williams of Popcorn Junkie. This will be an awesome site to keep an eye on.

Hope everyone has a great week.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the linkage - it feels like I haven't done any substantial posting in ages. Will be checking out the blockbuster list - need a few good blockbusters now that holidays are almost upon me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, come the holidays it is nice to be looking forward to some new films. I'm sure you will have plenty of potential content over the next few months.

      Delete
  2. I just posted my thoughts on this year's Cannes Film Festival to close out my marathon which is a bit exhausting as I'm just chilling for the day.

    That teaser for The Master is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the teaser. Your coverage was very entertaining. Maybe I will try something like that next year.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the link! Your site is getting so big and professional now, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some ways it is getting too big. I don't have time haha. I appreciate my friends contributing - and I to theres - and it is exciting to have a few different voices on the site.

      Delete
  4. I hope you don't mind me saying so, but I preferred the old name, it had a cool personal touch to it. But so long as your blog doesn't lose it's individuality then I fully support the change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I don't mind. I liked the old name too, but when I have been meeting new people around Sydney - professional writers and such - and they ask my blog title, I have been getting a little embarrassed. I usually just say The Film Emporium. I figured I'd change it. I think people will know when they see that title that it is my site. 95% of content will be entirely mine - and I want to keep my individual style - but if I select a theme or director, and what I propose is out of my limit, I'll be asking friends if they'd like to contribute.

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for the link Andy! You're always so supportive of us fellow bloggers. I'm digging the new name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I actually feel a bit bad. Apart from stopping by a few of my favourite blogs regularly and occasionally leaving a comment, I have not been active in the blogging community of late. Its tough to balance ones own work, and one's participation with others' work. But, loving your work as always.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the link love Andrew. Let's hope The Great Gatsby lives up to its potential! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has potential. The trailer gave it a lot of energy, and some interesting use of music. With the exception of Tobey Maguire (who I don't get the appeal for) the cast is fantastic.

      Delete
  7. Ha! Thanks for the link, man. Glad you got as big a kick out of that picture as I did. I thought about typing some words about it and then just decided to let it speak for itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise choice, my friend. It was very amusing all on its own.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the link, it's always appreciated!
    Also, the teaser for The Master is amazing, I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should be the idea of the teaser. To intrigue people, not reveal lots of things very quickly. You're welcome!

      Delete